Thursday, January 7, 2016

My Word for 2016

I am really liking this Word of the Year thing that seems to be a current trend among the self-aware. I first heard about it from my friend Bay, who sent this lovely and totally free Unraveling the New Year WorkBook from Susannah Conway.

The idea is to pick a word to guide you through the year -something you can reflect on and perhaps even apply each and everyday.

I am usually drawn to happy shiny words like Sparkle, Joy, Passion, but the word I thought I needed when I started thinking about it was Mindfulness. I am so not mindful. I am constantly multi-tasking. I am not a good listener. I don't notice what is around me. I forget to taste my food. And my mind is always busy. And what, really is the point of that? There is only this moment, so I really ought to be living it.

But Mindful felt too passive, and honestly, a little too advanced for me. When I read about what Mindfulness includes, nonjudgment seems to be part of the package. I am just not there. Maybe someday. So, after brainstorming a bunch of related words (Presence, Awareness, Intentionality, Focus etc.), I settled on this one.
And then I drew it on my new Erase Case, which is this awesome cell phone case that you can draw on and then erase and do it again (and it doesn't smear!). Then I posted my picture on my Facebook profile and a friend commented that I had put the word on the device that most keeps me from engaging with the people I am with...which I thought was perfect.

This year I will:

  • Engage fully with the people I am with.
  • Engage with whatever I am doing in any given moment.
  • Engage with my choices -especially around food.
  • Engage with my world. 
Or at least I will do it more than I did last year, and that is a good start. 

So, what's your word? And if you don't have one, it's not too late. You don't have to start at the new year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment